The foundation of State Ayurvedic college and Hospital, Lucknow was laid in the year 1948 in the premises of K.G. Medical College, Lucknow under the vice chancellorship of Late Acharya Narendra Dev with the inspiration of Late Chandrabhanu Gupta. Dr. V.S. Yagnik was the first principal cum medical Suptt. Of this college and subsequently the college development through the concerted efforts of Successive Principals. Late in year 1954 the building of Old King’s English Hospital was renovated and State Ayurvedic College, lucknow was shifted at Tulsi Das Marg, Lucknow. In 1959, the five year syllabus course of Ayurvedacharya was started.
The faculty of Ayurveda was established under the University of Lucknow where State Ayurvedic College acted as one of its constituent college. The post graduate M.D. (Ayurveda) courses in the college were started during 1971-72. Presently, the college runs BAMS (Ayurveda Charya), M.D. (Ay) in Five subjects, Ph.D. (Ayurveda), Ayurvedic Nursing and Pharmacist courses successfully.